Sunday, February 6, 2011

Challenge Update

Tree with dimension
It is getting closer to the deadline for our Tree Challenge. The due date is the day of the Mid-Atlantic Quilt Festival in Hampton Roads. Getting together on the day of the quilt show and having our "show in tell" during breakfast is one of the highlights.  The other is seeing all the magnificant quilts that inspire us to want to try our hand at trying to create something spectacular.  I feel good if I just manage to get the concept right and this time I feel I've learned a lot more about shading and coloring and that's got to be a good thing, right? Hopefully, you will be able to tell by the photo that the tree has been enhanced by couching perl cotton embroidery thread to the trunk of the tree and into some of it's branches. There are also little tiny french knots in the flower bed to enhance the mulched area. Next, will be to add some grass blades to the fence line and then machine stitch the tree leaves.  For the leaves I'm considering using the leaf stitch on my sewing machine.  My best bet will be to try it on a practice piece so I can get my stitch length set to scale. With just eighteen (18) more days to finish I better go and get busy.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! It's looking really good. You are way ahead of me. I'm the one that needs to get BUSY! I can't wait to see this in person.

    ReplyDelete