Sunday, February 27, 2011

Annual Challenge Update

Tree Challenge 2011
Our Tree Challenge was a success!  We both (mostly) finished our project, although in all honesty we had more than enough time to complete it and then some - you know how it is - knowing you have plenty of time to work on it you do something else first until it is down to crunch time. The main thing though is that we are both happy with our results.  As soon as I finish thread painting a few more areas on my tree it will be finished.  I've decided to frame and hang it in my sewing room. Truth be told I could hang it up now and no one would know it wasn't finished except me!  Since I last wrote a  post about the tree, I embroidered a little cardinal sitting on one of the branches.  I'm not sure you will be able to see it in the photo though so in the future I will try to do better and take close-up photos of some of the details. 

The quilt show was very inspirational. I just love seeing all the different quilt types and the different techniques that are being used in the quilts. While at the show I purchased the Clover small oval yo-yo maker and the butterfly yo-yo maker. The small oval yo-yo maker so far is my favorite as I'm still trying to figure out the butterfly yo-yo maker with it's two-step process. Hopefully, soon I'll be able to show you some beautiful yo-yo butterflies.

Part of our annual trip to the quilt show is to select our next challenge. This year it was Connie's turn to choose and we will be making a bird (possibly using the Artful Bird: Feathered Friends to Make and Sew by Abigail Patner Glassenberg ) but we can use any pattern or make up our own plus we need to make a brooch to be worn at the 2012 quilt show. For the bird we can use any pattern but we must personalize it somehow - for me that may be figuring out how to embellish it with some yo-yos and for Connie she might create and use some of her fantasy fabric.  For now - anything and everything is possible!

1 comment:

  1. I had a great time at the show too! And I love your tree. Especially the little red bird. I'm excited about the 2012 challenge. My book still isn't here thought. As soon as I can get my hands on "Our" camera I will make a post about the show and challenge for this yer. In the meantime I've been playing with my photo software. Come have a look.

    ReplyDelete