Sunday, January 9, 2011

All About Birds

Whimsical Birdhouse
It seems 2011 is definitely the year for birds. Not just chickens and owls but all birds and that is really exciting as birds are fun and whimsical and entertaining. I love watching the birds that visit my backyard, I get visited by cardinals, blue jays, crows and all sorts of smaller birds. This wonderful little ceramic and wood bird house is a Christmas gift from my son and family and I love it. It reminds me of my mom and her love of teacups, it speaks to both the creative and whimsical side of me and just plain makes me smile when I see it.

When I set the birdhouse on the shelf in my kitchen my first thought was it needed to be surrounded by birds and then I got surprised by another of my Christmas presents as there was this very comical punk looking cardinal in my gift bag. He is the greatest accompaniment to the bird house. The other cardinal I had sitting on a shelf in the living room so I moved him to be near the bird house but I still think I need more birds. And then just this week my friend Connie sends me a link to Abby Glassenberg's website. She does an amazing job making birds out of fabric and she even has a book out called The Artful Bird: Feathered Friends to Make and Sew. Then I remembered in my International Festival Quilt 2009/2010 magazine there is a pattern and directions by Terry Grant for making fabric birds which I have been wanting to try. I think they will look great sitting on the shelf with the bird house and I can't wait to get started.

3 comments:

  1. The birdhouse is adorable. And I love the punk looking cardinal. I think you will love making birds. I plan to make more soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and another thing I think I may be into this year is hearts. I've always loved then and lately have seen some that have inspired me to try my hand at making a few.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of surrounding it with birds!

    ReplyDelete