Sunday, September 15, 2013

Flock of Yo-Yo Owls

Birthday Owl for Granddaughter  and Mother's Day Owl
Birthday Owl for Sister
While browsing through a Mary Maxim craft catalog I saw these very bright and cute yo-yo owl kits.  As you know I love making yo-yo's so I purchased the kit.  Once it arrived I quickly got busy making the yo-yo's for the body. Once those were finished I started on the wings and horns but I did not like the "raw" technique the pattern directions gave.  So instead of just folding the wings in half and sewing a running stitch I ironed under about 1/8" of the wing edge then I folded the wing in half and completed it with the running stitch.  For the horn's I used some fusible webbing to adhere a bottom piece of fabric which gave the horns more body so they stood up better. 

 

Thank you Owl for Eldest Sister

The yo-yo's for the owl's body is a great way to use up those smaller fabric scraps which is what I did for the two brown, white and beige owls. At the craft store I purchased the wood base, spool, dowel, chenille stems and  glue on wiggle eyes and used my pattern and instructions from the kit to make owls using up fabric in my stash. As soon as I get some more time to go through my fabric I'm going to be making a few more owls.
 
What a "hoot" everyone had opening up their gift and I had a "hoot" making them!






2 comments:

  1. Can't find the pattern.. Mary Maxim doesn't have it. Please contact me. I need to make this for my new grandson.. Thanks, Margy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry Mary Maxim is not carrying the Owl Yo Yo pattern as it was such a fun and easy project to make.

    ReplyDelete