Saturday, May 21, 2011

Pen Turning Class

Don's Pen


Deanna's First Pen
Last weekend Don and I took a pen turning class together. For me it was a new experience as I have always gravitated towards the soft crafts using fabric or paper. During the class I was a little at a loss with some of the terms that the men grasped right away. Our instructor was really good though and with his help and the help of my husband I was able to turn out my first pen. Even Don, who has been turning pens for a while now, picked up some new tips to make his pens even better. He even added the little "bump" or flare at the end of his pen.  Everyone in the class was given the same pen kit and we each  turned an American Slim Pen made out of cherry wood  and we all received a certificate of completion. Everyone got to use their new pen filling out a little survey which was passed out at the end of the day.  I would definitely like to try this craft again.  What's next?  Possibly a class to learn how to turn bowls on the lathe.

2 comments:

  1. Ya! I thought your pen was very nice. Do you think you'll be making more or was this a one time thing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://creatingthehive.com/?referring_user=lilydoll

    Hi Deanna,
    You should join The Hive. You don't really have to do anything once your set up. All your blog posts will post there too. I get lots of comments at the HIVE. Plus there is lots of eye candy.

    ReplyDelete