Sunday, May 29, 2011

Crazy Quilt Book Cover

Crazy Quilted Book Cover
In the Embellishment Study Group class I'm taking with my friend our last assignment was to make a traditional crazy quilt block and to work with fiber etch. I decided not to try the fiber etch as it has chemicals in it that deteriorate the fabric and since I use my room to iron my work clothes I could just see me getting the tinest of drops on one of my favorite outfits so I thought it wiser not to work in that particular medium. 

Crazy Quilt Blocks

The crazy quilt block I really enjoyed making.  Whether it was choosing the fabric combination or deciding on the width of each piece or just piecing it - the entire process was really fun! From the start I knew I wanted to make a book cover with my block so I ended up making two coordinating blocks then sewing them together before I cut out the book cover. 

Crazy quilt bookcover opened to outside
For the handles I made sure I saved enough of one of the fabrics I was using so everything would coordinate. The book marker is made from gros grain ribbon and then embellished with a large button, an extra small yo-yo then topped with a smaller button. I like to put the large button behind the ribbon and then the yo-yo and smaller button on top of the ribbon, it just seems to balance things out.

Crazy quilt book cover opened and ready to read
Book covers make great gifts and I think I will make a couple more book covers to have on hand as I have a family who loves to read! Oh, I know I have at least one friend who would love to receive this as a gift too!!

1 comment:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! You are so talented and inspiring. I'm working on cleaning my sewing room today. I'll be happy if by the end of the day I can see the floor! LOL. Blogger is on the blink or something it won't let me sign in as me....connie sue powell

    ReplyDelete