Sunday, April 17, 2011

"Puff" the Bubbled Fabric Breasted Bird

"Puff"
I'm so excited that my experiment worked! It wasn't as hard as I thought it might be in fact it was pretty easy to work with the bubbled fabric.  First, I drew the pattern piece onto the back of the bubbled fabric. Next I straight stitched around the drawn line with my sewing machine and then I cut the piece out.  The bubbles on the outside of the stitched line went flat once I cut them which was great for sewing and the inside bubbles retained their shape.  It was a little tricky turning and stuffing the beak but with the help of a stuffing tool and a bamboo chopstick I was able to get the shape of the beak the way I wanted.  The pattern was very easy to follow.  I can't wait to make another bird but next time I want to use a heavier gauge of wire.  I wasn't able to locate the 19 gauge wire the pattern called for at any of the craft stores in my area so I used a 22 gauge which is just a little too thin to completely hold the birds weight without resting on the elbows of the legs. I found a size 12 gauge copper wire yesterday at a local craft store and I am going to experiment with it and then the next time I go to the hardware store I'll be checking their aisles for wire.

1 comment:

  1. Puff is just amazing! I love him and wish he would fly off and come to live at my house. But I know he would never leave you so my only hope is to make a mate he can't resist. LOL. Seriously I love that this turned out so well for you.

    ReplyDelete